Week 7 Storytelling: Handsome King of the Apes

The Beauty of the Stone Ape

In the East, glittering in the Great Sea's mist
an island protrudes from the trembling ocean.
Chinese lore calls it the Mountain,
Mountain of Flowers and Fruits
for it blossoms with life overflowing.

Indeed, the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits
is enriched with colors exotic and vibrant,
covered in boundless waves of green
which shimmers gold
when the Sun lights the ground aflame.

There was but one blemish
which studded the promontory jutting
from the middle of the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits
called The High Rock.

It was round, long ago smoothed by the temper of the waves
when the sky and ocean were unmarred by the peaking of mountains
but made any eye that feasted on its image convulse
for it carried a hollowness, filled with a rotten egg
misshapen and stinking a fume green as the tree-leaves.

Unbeknownst to mortals, though well-known to the Heavens,
The High Rock had stood since the birth of Time.
Its perch allowed the roots of the stone
to drink the very power forgotten by the Earth and by Heaven.
On the place The High Rock lived
it soaked in the magic of the Sun and the Moon.

The High Rock was gifted with supernatural enjoyment
before it passed over its blessings to the inhabitant of the egg
which it had carried since the first kiss of the sky and the Earth.

From the egg burst forth a beauteous being
made of the same stone its bearer had worn
"with two streams of golden radiance"
that flowed from the rivers of his eyes
into the castle that the Lord of Heaven resided in.

The Stone Ape was magnificent
and so glorious he terrified the Lord of Heaven.
The people have recited his image
in a desire to repeat his greatness and celebrate his rapture
for to frighten and awe is the strength of beauty -
the beauty of the Stone Ape.

The Ape Stones in Korea from Beaverland

Author's Note: The original story's title is Handsome King of the Apes, but it spent very little time discussing what made him so handsome or how he was handsome.  It really only mentioned the line that I used, where his eyes have "two streams of golden radiance" beaming out of them.  There was another small hint to the heritage of the addition of the adjective by suggesting it was given out of homage due to his new wealth of stone pottery.  I was a little disappointed by that because I feel like he was probably a pretty great dude and he deserves a sonnet professing how beautiful he was.  Due to my disappointment, the poem (not a sonnet because that was actually really really hard) focuses mainly on his origin as opposed to retelling/rewriting the tale of the Handsome King of the Apes.  The original tale also reminded me of the Tangled movie by Disney so I tried to use that for inspiration as well.

Bibliography: "The Ape Sun Wu Kung" in The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

Comments

  1. Hi Lauren!

    First I just want to say that you are a really, really good writer. I love how this story takes the form of a poem. It makes it so easy and enjoyable to read and follow along with. In addition to the form, your word choice was perfect. The personification of nature and the descriptive words really added an excellent component to your story. I think you did a really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    I love this! I don’t think I have seen anyone else do a poem, and the fact that you originally tried a sonnet is impressive. Sonnets are incredibly difficult to write (in my opinion) but I’m so glad you stuck with poetry. I agree with you in that a poem seems fitting to describe a handsome king. Your poem was lovely, easy to read, and descriptive. I enjoyed it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren! I really like your story. I think that the twist you chose works well, changing the narrative style to verse is so interesting! Have you written much poetry before? I think that is the first that I've seen of this style in the class and I hardly ever see things written in verse that art straight poetry. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry is one of my favorite things... I write it as much as I can!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Lauren!

    I am thoroughly impressed by your writing above; great work on the poem! Knowing your background with creative writing, I am not surprised that you attempted to write the poem as a sonnet, and would love to hear more about the challenges the sonnet posed. I also appreciate that you found an aspect in which you believed the original story was lacking, and chose to fill in the details for yourself. In all this is a wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lauren! Wow, I love this story and the fact that it's written in the form of a poem! I am not that great at writing poetry, so when I see someone else writing an entire story in poetry style I find it really impressive. The way you described the Stone Ape was really nice and I could imagine it as I was reading. I like that you took something you didn't like out of the original story and made it into something great. Amazing job on this story!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Lauren. I am very impressed with your writing ability and even more so by this story. I can't believe how well you managed to tell the story in this format. I have always wanted to be able to write in poem form, but you seem to have that mastered. Well done, I hope I get to read more of your work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Overactive Imagination